Shipping office services, helpline, consultancy and supply chain security

Friday 11 October 2013

TALES FROM THE ROAD 45 – MEMORIES OF INDIA 1996 – PART 2

The Connaught Hotel in Bombay was a government run establishment, and it had an institutional feel about it, not so much in the lobby and reception area, but in the long, curving corridors that led eventually to my rather tatty room. I was tired after a long journey, but exhilarated by my arrival in this fascinating country and a little disorientated. I had finished the bottle of water that I had bought for my journey from Zurich, so I opened the minibar for refreshment. There was the usual array of extortionately priced beer, wine, whisky, crisp packets and chocolate bars, and two litre bottles of water. Picking one up I realised that that what I thought in the dim light was condensation on the outside of the bottle was actually cloudy water on the inside! So I checked the bottle top, and sure enough it was not sealed. Furious, I called reception and insisted that they replaced their refilled water bottles with new, properly sealed ones, which they did somewhat begrudgingly.

It took a while to wind down after that but in the end the safest place to be was under the bed covers because my room was already occupied, by a family of mosquitos. Their intimidating, high pitched whine seemed to penetrate my ears so I put the covers over my head and attempted to sleep. Trouble is, the room was suffocatingly hot and the inadequate air conditioning unit hummed with such resonance that the bed seemed to shake, so I was certainly not destined to have a good night’s sleep.

I think adrenalin took over the following day, because when my guide arrived the collect me I felt fresh and ready to go. Shanti Mansabdar had travelled to the UK a few months previously and saw an opportunity to sell our range of reconditioned woodworking machines into the Indian market. The purpose of my trip to Bombay was to follow up his interest and for him to introduce me to potential customers around the city. So we took a cab to an ‘industrial estate’ to meet a young, stylish man called Mr. Jain. The ‘industrial estate’ was more like a converted four story block of flats, and each of its rooms were occupied by businesses involved in a variety of activities from textiles to metalwork to furniture manufacture, which was Mr. Jain’s business. The cab could only take us so far and we walked the final few hundred yards through a crowded and vibrant market place, with telephone wires hanging loosely across the narrow street, connected between stalls in all kinds of ingenious, and largely unsafe ways!

It was clear from the meeting with Mr. Jain that selling our machines to him would be quite a task. Shanti was extremely deferential and clearly of little influence. Mr. Jain was polite, professional, but already used machinery that had kept his business going for many years, albeit in Heath Robinson fashion. Investing in better equipment is something that was not in the forefront of his mind. So we had tea and Shanti walked me back through the market to a railway platform. We boarded a train for just a few stops, and as we stood in the crowded carriage my fellow passengers decided they should practise their English on me and so a very enjoyable half hour passed, until we reached the grandeur of Bombay’s main railway station. I had asked Shanti if we could pick up some more bottled water as my supplies were disappearing fast in the 35 degree heat, and he seemed very happy then to take me into the ‘best supermarket in the city’, which was actually a mid-sized corner shop on three levels with narrow aisles, congested with others who seemed equally overawed at its splendour!

Our next appointment was with a company who made laminated furniture, and who had expressed interest in reconditioned presses, finger-jointers, and stitching machines. We arrived in that part of town an hour early so it was nice to get away from the fast pace of the city’s life for a while to have a real conversation over lunch under a big fan. Shanti was taking seeds out of a bowl on the table, as we would eat Bombay mix and I assumed it was something similar so went to try some. He stopped me and pointed out that it would not be good for me, and as I looked more closely I noticed that there were insects moving within the seeds.

It was clear after our second meeting that the price expectation of Shanti’s customers was significantly below what I was prepared to sell them for. Therefore I quickly came to regard the Bombay leg of my trip as an educational opportunity, and for making connections for the future. As we left that meeting for others in an industrial area a little farther out of town, I noticed that the streets were stained with red blotches, just as the staircase had been at Mr. Jain’s industrial estate so I asked why, and it was because the locals chewed on a form of rice leaf that made their spittle red, and which they habitually disgorged as they went about their daily business. 

As with part 1 of this Tale, I was struck at every corner by the gulf between the haves and the have-nots, between the men and women who owned the businesses, factories and shops, and the poor scraping a living from waste, or by begging on behalf of the street mafia whose exploitative trade will feature in part 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment