Shipping office services, helpline, consultancy and supply chain security

Friday 4 October 2013

TALES FROM THE ROAD 44 – DINING WITH THE DON

I love the atmosphere of New York, and I love New Yorkers. They are straight and direct, and also incredibly hospitable and fun to be with. Back in the day, probably around 1993, I was visiting a machinery dealership whose offices were a stone’s throw from Shay Stadium. My journey to their office was a little fraught because the Yugoslavian yellow cab driver seemed not to have a clue where he was going, and had an insufficient command of English to be able to put right the wrong turnings I knew he was making, and he seemed happy that the bill was mounting up . I had driven before along those self-same, tyre-pitted roads that had been worn in grooves by countless articulated trucks, and my limited knowledge of how to get to my destination from there just about carried me through. No gratuity. He wasn’t very happy but that’s tough! In the end, with a little help from the people I was meeting, the cab driver was sent packing.

After a quick calm-down coffee (if there is such a thing), their President, Richard Bass, promptly took me to their ‘warehouse’, a ramshackled but large building somewhere on the New York dockside, ostensibly to look at their vast stock of second hand woodworking machines. None of them were in especially saleable condition and many were probably beyond any form of economic repair. However, there were some useful component parts and Richard was interested in selling our reconditioned British machinery because of their reputation for durability. Fascinatingly, in one corner of this huge space were 43 British phone boxes that he had acquired over the years for their antique and curiosity value. Even at that time he was making a very good living from them, and had sold them to customers across the USA to decorate their back yards, some converted to working order and others just there as a conversation piece around the barbecue grill.

We got on famously, both in business and on a personal level and spent a good number of hours together between warehouse and office putting together whatever deals we could. I met his father who had many years of experience in the woodworking machinery sector and there was little or nothing he did not know about the machines, their tooling, and their many applications. After my Yugoslavian cab driver experience, Richard kindly offered to drive me to Newark Airport via a late afternoon / early evening meal in ‘a special part of town’. “You’ll love it” he said, and how right he was. We talked more as we drove through horrendous traffic, eventually parking up on a smart street of large terraced houses with their entrances raised several steps above street level, from which I assumed he was taking me for dinner at his house, to meet his family, his friends, and maybe family pets. But no, not his family.

This was Little Italy and we walked into what felt like the front door of someone’s home into a most fabulously intimate, family run, New York Italian restaurant. It felt just like being on a film set. We were guided to our table by a young man in his late teens, who took our drinks orders. Then a thiry-something man took our starter order, and following that a man in his late fifties took our main course order. Finally we were joined for a brandy by the grandfather figure, a man who must have been in his eighties who smoked like a chimney and entertained us with his gravelly but wholly assured voice for a good half hour. Four generations of one family had attended to our table in one way or another. So there was family, good food, warmth and respect, but being where it was I could not help wondering how legitimately they had developed their restaurant business! “You don’t ask” was Richard’s view. And after that once-in-a-lifetime experience, Richard drove me to Newark Airport. Except that when I arrived and looked at my tickets, I was supposed to fly to Philadelphia from La Guardia!


I had a meeting in Philadelphia scheduled for 7am, so I simply had to get there but by the time I could have arrived at La Guardia by cab (with my cab experience  earlier in the day having not left a good taste), the Philly flights would all have left. So I decided to drink a lot of coffee for a few hours, hire a car and drive the three hour journey, finally arriving at my hotel there around 1am. It wasn’t the greatest preparation for an important meeting with someone I had never met before, but the Little Italy experience will live long in my memory. And the Philadelphia meeting went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment