Shipping office services, helpline, consultancy and supply chain security

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Inside the World Customs Organisation (WCO) (8) Did I really sign up to 20 hours on valuation?


For a lot of people this morning was their first day in school.  We lost quite a few friends last week but their places were filled by newbies – again from all over the world; maybe a few more European, USA, Canada people than before.  They must have thought it very odd seeing us all from last week greeting each other - kissing/ hugging/ laughing, very multi-cultural and multi-lingual.  We had an opening session and I sat next to a guy from a software company in the USA: “Must have been one hell of a good week last week,” he said, “sorry I missed it.  Probably too late for me to fit in like the rest of you.”  But by lunchtime he was chatting over lunch with a guy from Manila, two ladies from Brazil and a couple from the Congo – it doesn’t take long to get to know each other here.

We had a great “professor” for valuation in the morning, Leonardo from Brazil working at the WCO. He loves valuation – the philosophy, the history, the practical, the legal – fantastic sessions with jazz, classical music and dancing used to enhance our understanding.  Did you know that determining intercompany pricing was like a dance?  Neither did I until this morning. A very un-Brazilian dance though – arms-length!  OK, you had to be there to get the joke, maybe.

There are about 30 people in my group doing valuation – about 150 people here in total (50/50 trade and customs).  We have been doing some practical workshops as well as learning the WTO Valuation law – I know it but I’ve never been taught it in this way so it’s great.  I really am a sad Customs nerd … but then I’m in a class of 30 other nerds.

Dinner: Katrina and Gabriela and I wandering into the Grand Palace and found a place serving pasta. It made a nice change.  Another 10 hours on valuation tomorrow and Leonardo is back … dancing?  We’ll see.

How can strong and Herd LLP

Click Here to sign up to our free Spotlights!
Subscribe to our free information emails covering international trade topics .... Spotlights on key topics SAMPLE      

CLICK HERE to subscribe

1 comment:

  1. It’s very easy to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as I found this post at this site.

    wrecked car | sell my junk car | sell junk car for cash

    ReplyDelete