Shipping office services, helpline, consultancy and supply chain security

Sunday 7 July 2013

Inside the World Customs Organisation (WCO) (6) The highs and lows of the Field Trip


 
 Saturday was a beautiful day - hot and sunny we met outside the WCO building at 9.45 but instead of the 40 people we had just half.  Maybe with the day being so beautiful a few more had decided to do their own thing - there is a man-made beach open today on the banks of the canal with dancing and festival activities. Very tempting just to sit and sun-bath - but hopefully I can do that tomorrow.  I'm beginning to feel a bit like the old-lady of the group hobbling a little with my back but I was determined to keep up with them.  The Group, in the end, comprised of mainly non-Europeans I met a couple of  new people from Papua New Guinea Customs, Saudi & D.R Congo.  People really have travelled thousands of miles for this event and they are struggling with 8-10 hour time differences. 


 
The Group outside the Parlamentarium Brussels


We were divided into two groups and our first stop was the top floor of a multi-storey car-park.  The only place in Brussels to see the whole of the city - amazing.  The top floor is closed to cars and the guide said it was used in alot of Hollywood movies. Then the eating tour began - we had cheese in a pot on crispy French stick, snails (yes, I ate them), chocolates and chocolate drink (yes, even though I don't like chocolate I had these too) and then "bread from the ditch" a very sweet bread - then lunch!

Work was never far from our conversations - we really are a sad bunch of Customs nerds - but it was our common ground I suppose. I was asked to explain to a group from a couple of African countries the difference between the UK House of Commons, the House of Lords and the Monarchy - thank goodness I'm an history and politics student as well as a customs nerd.  The trip round the European Parliament was good but I was tired then so don't think I gave it my full attention.  We ended with a group photo and then the metro home.  They are meeting up for a meal at 8pm at the Turkish Restaurant (award winning!  he showed us his gold medal) but think I'll give it a miss.  This "old lady" is ready for a good sleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment