Shipping office services, helpline, consultancy and supply chain security

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Around the world in...219 days pt 2 - A different Turkey than seen in recent news


 My first reaction to the international news headlines about the unrest in Turkey is one of shock. I think back to the very start of my journey in September where I traveled through the south and west of a country that is occupied by some of the nicest and most hospitable people in the world.

Arriving at Antalya airport, I met a school friend with whom I would travel for the next month, and attempted to negotiate the route to our first hostel in the old town area. The first thing that struck me on leaving the surprisingly ornate airport was the heat. It was already dark but the air was hot and humid as we got on our bus. With little English spoken, it was difficult to find the old town and our own vague directions didn't help. Fortunately, everyone we met genuinely wanted to help and pointed in a vague direction if they weren't sure, and with the old town streets resembling a maze and the main point of reference being a broken minaret, it was hardly surprising when they didn't know!


First look at a new world: Old Town Antalya

It was my first time in Asia and also the first time that I have visited a predominantly Muslim country, so it was initially strange to hear the calls to prayer from minarets across the city. I quickly felt it was a pleasant sound and nothing else would seem fitting here. We traveled on a bus trip around various sights in the area and saw rich and perfectly preserved heritage left behind by the Romans but also possibly the worst town in the world. Side was built by slavers with a reputation for extreme cruelty and described as 'the worst people in the world'... maybe not much has changed! From the lack of anything uniquely Turkish to the hordes of European tourists, it was an overpriced, generic coastal town that could have been anywhere in the world.
Travelling north on one of the many excellent public buses, I realised we were the only foreigners, and definitely the only English speakers, on the bus. This was surprising to me as it was such a good service and remarkably cheap, especially considering that petrol prices are the highest in Europe. As the only foreigners, the conductor made special efforts to make sure we had everything that we needed and generally made us feel very welcome, which seems to be the Turkish way.

I was amazed at how laid back the country is. Everyone is relaxed and helpful even in the absence of a common language, nobody rushes and I was quite content to sit by the street in the old town with tea and a shisha! It was nice to get away from the tourist coast and see some of real Turkey, and I found it difficult to get excited about going to the other places on my trip because I really just want to continue exploring the less known parts of Turkey. The only real issue that we was due to a delayed dolmus (minibus) that was to take us to the bus station, although after some fairly robust driving we made our connection with about 30 seconds to spare!

We finally made it to Istanbul after a 9 hour bus ride from Izmir and an encounter with the only unhelpful person in Turkey (another dolmus driver). Istanbul is utterly amazing. I knew it was a big city but it is difficult not to be in awe at how massive it really is. We were there for 3 days and I think we would have needed months to fully explore and understand it. It seems fitting that a city so vital throughout history remains so important now, and as the only city that spans two continents it seems to go on forever. It is easy to think of Istanbul as the capital of Turkey as it is the city we hear the most about in the media and it is far more accessible to Europe. However, the much revered Ataturk moved the capital to Ankara in 1923 where the headquarters of his resistance movement was based.

I found the city to be as lively as I had read. Everything seemed to be on sale in the bustling bazaars which were alive with the sound of haggling, a skill that as an Englishman I had to develop rapidly! I also found that the only way to walk on Turkish streets is to just keep walking and someone else will probably get out of your way. This is what the locals do so no matter how hair raising, I felt it was worth a try. The system of traffic and pedestrians seems to work although I have absolutely no idea how.

The Turks are a lively and emotional people, most clearly evident when it comes to football! During my stay in Istanbul, it happened that Galatasaray were playing my team, Manchester United, and despite this being an away match the streets around the Galata tower were packed full of fans singing and shouting as if they were at the game. Any event in the game was greeted with excited cheers or howls of derision, especially when it came to refereeing decisions, and as United scored I decided that I definitely would not admit to being English.


So I have been particularly saddened by the recent unrest in the country as I found the Turkish people to be so welcoming, laid back and friendly. A walk through Taksim square, which has been the centre of the problems in Istanbul was a peaceful, pleasant experience only 6 months ago and I hope that the problems can be resolved as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment